Saturday 22 June 2013

Building Relationships, a strategy or two (Afternoon Infusion...Assan and Kenyan strong with milk)

I will readily admit to anyone that I love (no, sorry LOVE) my job.  It excites and enthuses me almost as much as a cup of tea does!! It is for that reason I find myself in June planning for my September lessons. I want to make them better than this year, because I have learned so very much thanks to the wonderful educational professionals I surround myself with both at work, at home, and online.  Throughout some of my research this year, and thanks to Osiris Educational for their wonderful book, I have decided my initial lessons this year will be a prefix to building good, solid relationships with my classes.  Don't get me wrong it has been noted as one of my strengths this year, however I am changing role next year and I think relationships will be even more important.  So, herewith are some thoughts, ideas and ponderings over how I can ensure my class relationships are top notch!

Behaviour contract
I had done this in the past, but wanted to re-post as I think this is one of the most valuable relationship tools I use at the start of the year.
I start off not calling it a behaviour contract, in fact that is probably the wrong term entirely...Expectation Contract would suit better.  I ask students first of all their expectations of me as a teacher.  This goes on one side of the 'contract'.  We then discuss expectations of each other.  Class agree 'rules' and therefore are more inclined to follow them as they are self-initiated.  I feel as well that asking them to set me 'rules' first, (which I sign and agree to...if appropriate!) allows students to know from the offset that that is how I teach; hopefully in a fair way, open to student input.  After all...they are not MY lessons...they belong to the students!!

Interest Index Cards
(stolen from Osiris Educational, Engaging Learners. Fantastic book!)
I do always ensure I speak to my students about their interests.  This time I am going to issue my classes with index cards with a set of questions on.  I can keep these in an index card box, organised by class so that if, and inevitably when, I come across a student who is disruptive/negative/lacks motivation I can refer back to these cards from the beginning of the year to strike up meaningful and genuine conversation to hopefully let the student know I care.


I will be researching more on this topic...so I'm sure there will be more to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment